Pages

Monday, August 4, 2014

Summer with a toddler

Back to work next week!

Summer is just about over and it really went by so quickly. But dont they all!

As I threw my work papers into the air on my last day of work I made a mental list of all the wonderful adventures and memories I planned to make with Rylee. I wrote a color coordinated list of all the library story times, open pool swim, splash pad times, etc. I cant say I did them all, or even half of them,  but id say our summer was another success. We celebrated Rylee turning two and Ryan and I turning 28 all in the month of july. We went a little wild and had one last disney trip in the heat of summer before our annual passes expired (dont worry, they'll be renewed in October when the weather is pleasant and I'm not toting around a big belly).

I learned much this summer on being a parent.  I was reminded how hard this job really is and powering through those dark dreadful days make those sweet moments so purely wonderful. My daughter taught me I do have one last bit of patience when I think I'm about to burst. She taught me watching little mermaid gives me 80 minutes to snuggle with her or 80 minutes to clean up breakfast, shower, dress, fold laundry, and pick up the house (days depending, but I did both with her). She taught me its ok to leave the house unshowered to grab milk when cereal is preferred vs the normal pancakes. Its ok if we eat leftovers from lunch for dinner because I lost track of time and didnt make dinner. She taught eating 3 popscicles while playing outside in the terrible heat is preferred. She told me I looked pretty when I rolled out of bed to grab her from her crib and reminded me she sees me so much deeper then a mirror can reflect.

This summer was filled with perfect days and terrible-two days. She's seen me frustrated and proud, happy and tired, stern and loving. Yet, even though my worst moments of trying my best to be a parent, she still found it in her heart to keep loving me and find the beauty in my morning mess. Pretty awesome move on her part.

Her and I took on potty training this summer and her success still shocks me! I painfully admit my mother was right, she was ready for the potty. Within three days she was able to not only use the potty when I sat her on it but yell "I poopoo" while playing and put herself on the potty. It still cracks me up to see her little body sitting on our toilet ready minnie mouse books. I took her on a dinner date once a week. The managers at tijuana flats and chick-fil-a probably have Ryans shift schedule memorized by now due to our frequent visits. We spent hours outside playing in the spinkler and floating in her kiddie pool. We spent hours making pretend cookies and filling up tea cups with pretend tea in her little kitchen.

I was also reminded of the need and importance of date nights with Ryan and girl time with friends. Date nights have saved me from crazy terrible two days and also reminded me I am a wife still. It gave me a reason to pick out something other then pajama pants to wear and order a meal I dont have to share with a toddler. We had time to hold each others hands while walking into a restaurant and have a conversation. People say not to talk about your kids on date nights, well we do. And often times thats our only quiet, non exhausted time to share things with each other about our daughter. As much as Ryan is involved as a dad, his firefighter schedule causes him to miss a lot, and he craves to know details about visits to the zoo and bed time books. On date nights we sometimes just drive around. Drive through fancy neighborhoods and add more plans to our dream home. Drive around and listen to am radio shows instead of disney princess music that usually takes over the car. We laugh at inappropriate adult topics and slip up on language we try hard not to use with little ears around. We just enjoyed each other's company. 

Summer also made pregnancy pass by quickly. In a little over a month we'll have a baby boy joining our beautiful chaos. I cant wait to hold him in my arms and smell his sweet baby aroma. Last night Ryan and I were talking about how much our house is going to change when Jacob arrives. How much our hearts will grow with our son to love. We pray the decision we made for me to stay home for the next year is best and we will survive the change.

I have enjoyed summer with my little family. Looking forward to seeing co-workers on monday and waiting out the arrival of Jacob!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
site design by designer blogs