Pages

Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Still the wife

IIn December of two thousand ten, vows were exchanged on a cool crisp evening, under the lights of an old fire station. He said I do and I said I will. Poof! We were married and titles changed from fiance to husband and wife. We danced the night away. Celebrated with loved ones and wishes the night to never end. We went home that night and I danced in my wedding dress to music he played. We opened presents and read cards till 4am. We mass big plans with our wedding gifts and felt relieved to no struggle to pay for my last semester of school.

Marriage was a journey I forever wanted to be on. I always wanted to be a wife. And now I was.

I will never say marriage is always easy. It isn't. Its a life long dedication to never give up on each other. On dreams made on a wedding night. Vows made while loved ones take witness.

We bought a first house a year before we married. It will be give years this Thanksgiving that our first home will still be ours. It was...well still is our little fixer upper. Ryan has taken a house on the corner and gave us a place to make memories. Our house started as a place for just him, me, and our pugs. We've said good bye to our first pug in this little house and made room for another. We've had late nights of movie marathons and hot days of yard work.

We did if together as husband and wife.

Before our first anniversary I became pregnant with our first child. We we're excited! Nervous! Eagerly waiting to see how our lives would change. And boy did it! We moved from husband and wife to parents. A well formed team without uniforms.

We no longer have late night movie marathons but early morning viewings of brave and tangled. House projects are put aside for reading books and buying diapers. Dreams consist of a new house with Mira outdoor space for slip and slippers and playhouses.

And in that chaos that usually fills our days, sometimes I forget we were husband and wife before we became pro diaper changers and lullaby singers. Some days feel like a tag team wrestling match. When one can't last another moment in the toddler smack down, we tag out for that chance to drink out tea hot and fold a laundry baskets of princess dresses.

We sneak out for date nights as much as possible. We have learned being husband and wife is so important to be good parents. Set the example of love for our children. Rekindle our dreams and remember we're in this together.

Just the other night, as we fought our sleepless child back into dream land, I laid in bed just thinking how far we've come. We went from high school friends, to lovers, wedding planners, diy home make overs, struggling to put me through school, college grads, husband and wife, careers, a baby, and babe number two on its way. We've grown a lot as husband and wife. I forget that sometimes.

Its hard to feel wife like with a grouchy toddler on my hip, a half written grocery list, and a frozen pizza in waiting for dinner.

But its in the middle of that night, with our daughter sleeping like a troll between us, he reached for my hand, whispers she's asleep, and reminds me through all the chaos I'm still his wife. The person he loved before our life became complicated and will love through the madness of the day.

2 comments:

  1. That is so beautifully written! Marriage is a crazy, scary, fun adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whenever I sit down to do a wedding consultation with a couple I always remind them that even when the clouds are pitch black, and the thunder and lightning are raging strong, there is still a bright, life-giving sun shining behind all of it. As a couple you'll always breathe new life in to each other on a daily basis. Thanks for giving a glimpse in to you and Ryan's journey.

    ReplyDelete

 
site design by designer blogs