Pages

Monday, April 21, 2014

It ends with laundry

When I was pregnant with Rylee, I made so many promises and vows on how I would handle middle of the night feedings and toddler tantrums. How I would be the perfect parent. How inwoukdnstick to my guns.

I vowed to always steam a pacifier or wash a toy that hit the ground.
Broke that vow when my mouth or shirt easily cleans it off.

I vowed to not give in to opening food packages at a store.
Broke that vow when the simple trip to target for toothpaste turned into a war of peace or scream over goldfish.

I planned to keep nap time and bed time scheduled perfectly time.
Broke that vow when fire works at Disney were too magical to miss.

I promised to never let dishes or laundry come before mommy daughter time.
Broke that pinky promise when bunnies needed to be washed for bed time snuggles

And who was really affected by these broken vows and promises? No one. Maybe my ego. Rylee didnt seem to mind. But what the unplanned and unpromised perfect parent moments changed me.

The t shirt cleaned toy was giggled over.
A sweet sign language of "thank you" was given after goldfish was opened.
The light in her eyes sparkled during castle fireworks.
And thd clean bunnie was loved to sleep.

The millions of miles I have walked to and from her crib have changed in how I make promises to be a better parent.  I am far from perfect.  Perfectly filtered instagram photos dont always show the chaos in trying to juggle it all.

But I am really trying to keep my promise in leaving the mess to clean for a later moment. To let laundry pile and fold when no little hand needs held or picked up for one last cookie. And gosh its hard. The inner control freak and everything must be in its place mind sometimes freaks and want to jump through my unwashed hair.

But its just laundry. It can wait

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
site design by designer blogs